Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Knowing God: Recap and Resurrection Eggs

Once again, I so enjoyed the practice of recognizing Lent and preparing my heart and mind to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. This year I read the book "Knowing God" by J. I. Packer and my family also used these resurrection eggs to count down the last 12 days. Some have asked for a peek at what all the eggs contained, so here it goes:


1. A donkey, symbolizing Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem
2. 3 coins, representing the 30 pieces of silver Judas sold Jesus for.
3. A cup, used at the last supper
4. Praying hands, just like Jesus' in the garden of Gethsemane
5. A leather whip, picturing the cat'o'nine tails that whipped Jesus
6. A (very humane) crown of thorns
7. A cross, cleverly fashioned out of 3 nails
8. Die, representing the lots cast for Jesus' garments
9. A spear, symbolizing the one that was thrust into Jesus' side after his death
10. A white cloth such as those that Jesus' body was wrapped in
11. A stone, rolled over the front of the tomb.

But that is only 11. What is in the 12th egg?



Well would you look at that...

It's Empty!

Just like the tomb was on that first Resurrection Sunday. Praise the Lord we serve a RISEN Saviour!

I finished the book "Knowing God" this weekend as well, and loved it! (You can go here to read why I read it and my thoughts as I got started.) Taking special time each day to study the Holiness and attributes of God was a refreshing, spiritually encouraging task.

Even though it was God the Son, Jesus Christ, that raised from the dead, knowing more about the Godhead in general gave all new meaning into the purpose and plan of redemption. The study of God changes lives. When we know Him better personally, we are able then to better live like Him, the very purpose of our lives as Christians!

Here is a quote from the last chapter, "The Adequacy of God," all about Romans 8:

"Think of what you know of God through the gospel, says Paul, and apply it. Think against your feelings; argue yourself out of the gloom they have spread; unmask the unbelief they have nourished; take yourself in hand, talk to yourself, make yourself look up from your problems to the God of the gospel; let evangelical thinking correct emotional thinking. By this means (so Paul believes) the indwelling Holy Spirit, whose ministry it is to assure us that we are God's beloved children and heirs (vs. 15-16), will lead us to the point where Paul's last triumphant inference - 'I am persuaded that neither death nor life...nor any other creature shall be able to separate me from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord' (vs. 38-39) - will evoke from us the response: 'And so am I! Hallelujah!' For in this response, as Paul knows, lies the secret of the 'more-than-conquerors' experience, which is the victory that over comes the world and the Christan's heaven on earth."
 Paul's life goal was to know Christ. May it be ours as well!

Over the last few weeks, I memorized the following verses about God:

And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.
Joel 2:27 

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Hebrews 2:17

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
I John 4:16

Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
Isaiah 40:26

Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:

But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgement, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
 Jeremiah 9: 23-24

Just a sampling of the greatness of God!

So, in short...I plan to continue to recognize the resurrection of Christ in this way, preparing my heart during the weeks before Easter, and spending concentrated time learning about Him. As one blogger stated last week, "This weekend defines the existence of my entire life." Isn't it a no-brainer, then, to spend time carefully considering and preparing for it? I will continue to do so!

For those that observed Lent this year, how did it have an impact on your life? Will you be joining me again next year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!