Monday, March 19, 2012

Knowing God: Amazing Love!

“Is it true that God is love to me as a Christian? And does the love of God mean all that has been said? If so, certain questions arise.
Why do I ever grumble and show discontent and resentment at the circumstances in which God has placed me?
Why am I ever distrustful, fearful, or depressed?
Why do I ever allow myself to grow cool, formal and halfhearted in the service of the God who loves me so?
Why do I ever allow my loyalties to be divided, so that God has not all my heart?
John wrote that “God is love” in order to make an ethical point, ‘If God so loved us, we ought also to love one another’ (I John 4:11). Could an observer learn from the quality and degree of love that I show to others - my wife? my husband? my family? my neighbors? people at church? people at work? - anything at all about the greatness of God’s love to me?

Mediate upon these things. Examine yourself.

Adapted from J. I. Packer's Knowing God


I have been so blessed in the reading of this book for the Lent season. Stay tuned in here for more excerpts from this great book, or follow me on Twitter for daily quotes about God! Follow #KnowingGod to catch every one.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!