Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Exploring Boston

Last week I had the opportunity to explore Boston for the first time. I lived in New England most of my life, yet I hadn't ever done more than drive by! Some of my cousins and I got together for the day and planned a fun trip viewing the beautiful architecture, learning more of the history of the city, and delving into some yummy Boston food. :)

I took some pictures so I could take you along with me on a virtual tour of Boston. Welcome to the city!






...as was pretty much everything in the city! I thought this was a fun sign!


Samuel Adams
Part of my day involved a guided tour of the south part of the Freedom Trail. I would love to do this again, and tour the whole trail instead. I learned a lot during this tour!

This building is called the Old South Meeting house. It was a very key part of the Boston Tea Party, and the largest building in the city at that time.


On December 16, 1773, five thousand colonists crowded into this building to decide what to do with the tea. If it was unloaded, they would be taxed. After the final attempt to have it sent back to England failed, Samuel Adams addressed the crowd, saying, "This meeting can do nothing more to save the country." We all know what happened after that! (Read more about the Old South Meeting House here)

Another stop on the trail was this, the Old State House. This was originally the tallest building in the city. Now it is one of the smallest...obviously!


The Declaration of Independence was first read from the balcony of this building on July 18, 1776. Abigail Adams was among those in the crowd that day. (Read more about the State House here.)


We enjoyed a short ferry ride across the Boston Harbor to visit the USS Constitution.


It was windier and sunnier than I realized, lol! I didn't feel like I was squinting. :)




The USS Constitution is the oldest battleship that can still sail on it's own. It sits in the harbor like any other ship...not dry docked or anything. You can visit parts of 3 levels of the ship, which was very interesting! I would not want to live in those tight quarters!



We finished the day with gourmet desserts at Finale for supper. This was my plate...it was all AMAZING. I can't even describe how delicious this was.


During the day we also enjoyed riding the bus into the city, riding the subway while in the city, and walking...walking...and walking while taking in the beautiful architecture and bustle of the city. At the end of the day, my legs were screaming at me to be done with the sightseeing...but I would love to go back and see more!

Have you ever visited Boston, or any other historical city? What do you enjoy about history in general? If anyone wants to visit Boston, I'd be happy to meet you there. :)

Linked up with the Weekend Wind Down Party

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!