Monday, January 10, 2011

Missions Monday

Last night at church we had a wonderful missionary family present their work at church. They were a sweet couple with cute kids, and it was a pleasure and blessing to meet them. I guess that is one of the perks about being a Pastor’s kid, getting to know great missionaries families. :)


While it was great to get to know them and see the field God has called them to, it is always hard for me. Seeing the great need always makes me just want to go!!! And when the next missionary comes, I’ll want to go there, too. Missions has become so much of a burden to me in the last few years, and I would love to someday have a part.


When I was 17 I went on a 3 week missions trip to Argentina and Chile, which also happens to be where my best friend lives. (Wasn’t that convenient??) I absolutely loved being in a different culture where so many things were new and different from what I was used to. I honestly can’t think of one thing that I didn’t like about Argentina and Chile...except for leaving! Even being surrounded by people that I couldn’t understand and that couldn’t understand me was fun. I found that if you really pay attention to words or simple phrases, its easy to figure out what they are saying. Even just their tone of voice sometimes tells you the basic gist of what they are trying to say. I also had some high-schoolers try out their English on me. It was so fun! I desperately hope that I might be able to take another missions trip in the near future. Longer than 3 weeks wouldn’t hurt my feelings.


While I sincerely hope and pray that God’s plan for my future may involve foreign missions, I also pray that the Lord might use me in the mission field he has currently put me in...Digby county, Nova Scotia, Canada. Because this area is needy too. There is a lot of Catholicism and many Catholic roots here. These people have no hope, they live in such an empty religious life that knows not the truth. I don’t have to ask, “Who will go?” because someone has already been sent - me. Someday I will be accountable for the work I have done for Christ while here. If that doesn’t provoke me to action, I’m not sure what will!


Recently a friend of mine shared a missionary song that her and her siblings sang. I wanted to post the words for you, but I couldn't find them, so I will just post a link to the YouTube song. This was sung by "four grateful MK's." I just loved this song, I had never heard this one before, and it made me laugh and cry all at the same time. I hope my kids can sing this song one day! :)

1 comment:

  1. If that family was who I think it was, they ARE wonderful!! They are our best friends in Canada, actually, and their children have been friends with our children practically from birth. :) They will be a worthy investment for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!