Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Coffee Chats: Books and Bookworms



Holly: Okay, book time!

Nicole: Are you drinking anything warm today??

Holly: Hot apple cider has been super amazing for my sore throat today, so again, no coffee, but at least it's warm!

Nicole: And season-appropriate. I have broken the chains of addiction today, and instead of my usual Seattle's Best, I have 8 O'clock Hazelnut.

Holly: Oh yes, hazelnut is the best!

Nicole: Love it.

Holly: Let me say, I'm in love with today's topic. One of my favorite hobbies is reading.

Nicole: Absolutely. I personally think that books are a very important part of life.I am pretty sure that I have enjoyed books since I first learned to read. How about you?

Holly: Haha, I think I've enjoyed them since even before I could read. Some of my earliest memories involve my parents reading me books. My mom definitely passed her love of reading down to me. I loved books so much that I taught myself to read so I could read whenever I wanted!

Nicole: Yes, my parents helped me learn how to read very early (before I started school, I'm pretty sure) so that they wouldn't have to read so many books to me. I would make them read my books over and over, even though I could quote them word for word.

I still remember the first book that I read all the way through, with a little help from my dad. I think it is called Baby, I Love You or something like that...It's about a little girl and her baby doll. The cover is pink, I at least remember that much.

Holly: That's funny, because the first book that I remember was It's Time for Bath. And I think I {and my parents} had that memorized in just a few weeks! Isn't it funny how much books influence us? 

Nicole: Yes. I can still almost quote some of those ones from my childhood. And my parents probably can too!

Holly: The first "big kid" books I remember reading are the Little House on the Prairie series, and I still love them.

Nicole: Oh yes, what is not to love! I was obsessed with Boxcar Children books; I had lots and lots of them.;

Holly: Me too!

Nicole: And I've read every single Nancy Drew. Talk about accomplishments in life.

Holly: Really? I could never get into those, believe it or not. I was too busy reading The Saddle Club and wishing I owned a horse.

Nicole: Yeah, well count yourself blessed, because every book was the same: Nancy gets involved in a mystery, at the end of the book she almost dies , and Ned saves her. The End. The only reason I read them all was because our local, small-town library had limited options.

Holly: Yeah, that will definitely shape your reading, for sure. Do you prefer libraries over bookstores?

Nicole: Well, my bank account does….But there's nothing like the smell of a new book. Or the smell of an old one. Guess it's a toss-up.

Holly: There is also nothing like the smell of coffee and a new book! But I completely agree that libraries are easier on the bank account.

Nicole: Yes, that is why Barnes and Noble is the best. They are one of the few book places that not only lets you have a beverage in the store; they actually sell it to you!

Holly: Right! My favorite Barnes and Noble is on the harbor in Baltimore, MD. It's an old warehouse converted to a Barnes and Noble. Sitting on a balcony overlooking the harbor while reading your new book = super special.




Nicole: Sounds beautiful!

Holly: But some libraries are beautiful as well. The one in our town is an old house that's been converted to a library. It's charming.


Nicole: Yes, my childhood library is an old, old building with old, old paintings and such inside. One of the coolest places ever. They say that the attic is chock full of old books, but the bats are so bad up there that no one can go up. I don't know if its true, but it gives the place even more intrigue. I love it.

Holly: Sounds like something out of Nancy Drew!

Nicole: I guess it does seem fitting, doesn't it?

Holly: It does. So what kind of books are you reading these days?

Nicole: Well I have to say that college definitely made me appreciate "deeper" books than Nancy Drew. Right now I am in the middle o f Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Changed Into His Image by Jim Berg.

Holly: Both of those are terrific books! And I'm glad to see your tastes have matured. :)

Nicole: Yes, I think it's probably a good thing. :) A friend of mine is reading through the Love Finds You series and has let me borrow some of those. Every once in a while a "lighter" book is refreshing. It is a neat series, if you ever come across them. Each book is set in a different town in the US, so you get to learn a ton about the culture of each place.

Holly: Never heard of it, but it sounds great!

Nicole: What have you been reading lately?

Holly: I am usually reading several books at once, and enjoy a bit of everything. Currently: What Do I Know About My God by Mardi Collier {of the Wilds}, At the Scent of Water a Christian fiction book by Linda Nichols, and an autobiography/memoir to review for BookSneeze.

Nicole: I'm waiting for my BookSneeze book to get here! Why don't you explain to our readers?

Holly: BookSneeze is a book review program by Thomas Nelson that gives bloggers free books in exchange for reviews on their blogs. So it brings two loves together for me: blogging and reading! Win-win.

Nicole: I agree, I'm excited to get my book.

Holly: Do you have a favorite genre of books?

Nicole: Hmm, that's a tough one. I have to say I'm pretty fond of devotional/Christian living type books, especially ones geared specifically toward women. I love reading a book like that when it is "highlighter worthy."

Holly: Yes, marking up books is definitely a plus for "real books" as opposed to e-books.

Nicole: This is true. You have several e-books, don't you?

Holly: If by several, you mean over 100, sure! Using my Kindle app on my iPad, I can get a lot of free e-books from amazon.com.

Nicole: Oh wow, I didn't know you had that many!

Holly: Our bookshelves are stuffed full, and this way I can take a library of books with me wherever I go via iPad. I really love e-books and pretty much won't buy anything else from now on.

Nicole: When I get an iPad (or even any computer that is more e-book friendly as opposed to my dinosaur) I will definitely be tapping in on that resource. Hopefully that won't be too long in coming.

Holly: Yay! So do you think that bookstores and library books will suffer because of e-books?

Nicole: I think to some extent, yes, especially smaller book stores. (Think You've Got Mail thoughts here.) But there are still lots and lots of people that don't do the Kindle/iPad/eBook thing, and lots more that won't give up their loyalty to regular books.I personally think bookstores and libraries are very needed.

Holly: True that. Libraries are especially important in today's economy, and you just can't beat the ambiance of a bookstore.

Nicole: Absolutely not. Is there a specific genre of books you find yourself reading these days?

Holly: I am really bouncing all over the place: historical fiction, suspense, biographies, sewing tutorial books, and devotionals. Varied, I know.

Nicole: Wow, sewing tutorials...heavy reading going on over there!

Holly: I know, right? The best part about books is that there really is something for everybody. You're bound to find something that you like.

Nicole: Absolutely. I think we would be remiss to end this chat without reminiscing about our librarian days, don't you?

Holly: Oh goodness...I've tried to forget those days! I tell you what though, I sure know a lot more about how book call numbers are classified for libraries than I ever thought I would.

Nicole: Yes me too, and I really think it helped my appreciation for books deepen, if that was possible. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I actually miss it sometimes.

Holly: Whoa.

Nicole: Then I remember sitting in the closet with 365,000 boxes of rotting books and come to my senses.

Holly: And bookworms. Oh the bookworms...

Nicole: Eww, eww eww!

Holly: We lead glamorous lives, people.

Nicole: Totally.  We did have fun working together though...way too much fun than librarians are probably supposed to have!

Holly: Oh yes. Drop your stuffy-librarian misconceptions!

Nicole: Once I got told that I looked like the librarian from The Music Man. I've never seen it though, so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!

Holly: Oh, that's a good movie! And...it could be a good or bad thing. You should watch the movie.

Nicole: I really should, I've been scarred ever since. :)

Holly: Well, we'll let Nic go find a copy of The Music Man to watch. She could stop by our house and watch my copy…


Hope y'all have enjoyed our chat on books. We wanna know: what are your favorite books?? Are you fiction or non-fiction fans? Or are you like us and enjoy a little of both? Leave your input in the comments section and we'll continue this chat down there!




2 comments:

  1. LOVED this topic! Reading = one of my favorite pastimes. I usually have 1 classic fiction and 1 devotional/spiritual life going at once.

    I am a LOVER of classic literature (Jane Eyre, anything by Jane Austen, Edith Wharton, Henry James, Charles Dickens...) and also love some of the great apologists (Chesterton, Lewis...). Right now I'm in the middle of "Knowing God" by JI Packer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell are two of my most recent addictions. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!