Thursday, April 12, 2012

Guest Post: Doable Cloth Diapers



As I mentioned yesterday, as part of this month's challenge I have recruited the help of a few guest bloggers to share some new information for us to learn about. The one you'll meet today is a friend of mine from college, and I am so excited about what she has to share with us. Please welcome Andrea!



Hello there!  I am so excited to join Nicole in helping you make your fat file on Cloth Diapers!  First let me start with a brief introduction…my name is Andrea, and I am a stay-at-home mommy to two precious kids – a girl and a boy. I started using cloth diapers after bringing my newborn daughter home from the hospital in November of 2009. I have been addicted ever since!  And until recently, I owned a small online retail store called Doable Diapers - it was the result of my addiction!

Now that you know who I am, I have a question for you.  What comes to your mind when you hear the words cloth diapers?  I’ll bet that it has something to do with the diapers your grandma used – flat white diapers drying in the wind on a clothesline, diaper pins, and rubber pants.  Am I close?  The name of my store actually came from the fact that many people have misconceptions about cloth diapers.  I am here to tell you that cloth diapers have come a long way! The modern cloth diaper is just as easy to use, if not easier, than mainstream disposable diapers. So in fact, cloth diapers are very doable!

I would like to give you five brief reasons why you should at least consider using cloth diapers.  They are not for everyone, but you may learn a thing or two as you read on!

Cloth Diapers are BETTER FOR YOUR BABY


There are very few things in life softer than a baby’s skin. One of them may be modern cloth diapers. Most modern cloth diapers are lined with a soft inner fabric such as fleece or micro-suede. Not only is this extremely soft, but it is also designed to wick the moisture away from your baby’s bum. By keeping your baby cozy and dry, cloth diapers help to prevent diaper rashes. That should make you and baby happier!

Cloth diapers are also chemical free. Did you know that disposable diapers are filled with chemicals? They even contain traces of Dioxin which is an extremely toxic chemical banned in most countries. Do you really want all of those chemicals touching your baby? I know I don’t!
As an added bonus, some studies show that babies who wear cloth diapers potty train an average of five months earlier than other babies.


Cloth Diapers are BETTER FOR YOUR BUDGET
 
Cloth diapers bring relief to your wallet! That is because they are a reusable product. You make the investment one time, and then use the diapers for all {or many} of your children. When you use disposable diapers, you are literally throwing your money in the trash.
The average cost to use disposable diapers on a baby from birth to potty training starts at $1500, and ranges to $3000. This depends on how frequently you change the baby, what brand of diapers you use, and at what age your child begins potty training. That is $1500 per child, whereas your investment in cloth diapers can be used for multiple children. So by using cloth diapers, you could potentially save hundreds to thousands of dollars!

Cloth Diapers are BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

Cloth diapers create less waste because they are reusable. Obviously, anything which is reusable is better for the environment.  You can “go green” and be a good steward of the earth {with which God has entrusted us} by choosing cloth diapers! It is a responsible thing to do.


Cloth Diapers are EASY TO USE

The modern cloth diaper is not about diaper pins and awkward plastic pants. You don’t have to soak your diapers in a messy pail or dunk them in the toilet. The modern cloth diaper is very easy to use!   From the ease of hook & loop {aka Velcro} and snap closures, to built-in waterproof covers and customizable absorption, there is a cloth diaper for everyone.

Cloth Diapers have THE CUTE FACTOR

Just in case I haven’t convinced you…consider the cute factor! From fire engines to gumball prints, and soft pastels to bold & bright colors, there is a cute factor for every bum!  I think you will all agree that cloth diapers are much cuter than anything disposable on the market!



Taking the Next Step

Thanks for reading my top five reasons for using cloth diapers.  If I have you a little intrigued, and you want more information, I would love to invite you to pop on over to my blog.  I would suggest my “Cloth Diaper Primer” as an introduction to the basic terms and items involved in cloth diapering.  From there you can browse my archives on just about every topic related to cloth diapering!



Andrea is an assistant pastor’s wife and stay-at-home-mommy in Brooklyn, New York.  She is serving the Lord with her husband Ben while they prepare to plant a new church in New York City.  Her daughter Elaine is an adorable 2 years old, and Nolan is a rambunctious 9 month old bundle of trouble!  Andrea also enjoys blogging at Random Issues, Polished Palaces, and Doable Diapers.  She is a recovering Pinterest addict, loves snow storms, walks in the park, Starbucks, a good read, playing the piano, and anything paper-crafting.

Thanks so much Andrea! 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I learned a thing or two about a subject that interests me! (Which is kinda the point of this whole project, conveniently enough!) If you have any questions for Andrea, feel free to pop on over to her blog, or address her right here in the comments section. 


I have printed this off and will be adding it to my "Keeper At Home" file (told ya that file would have broad subject matter!). You can click here to get a printable version of this post for your own files.

Did you learn anything new?


3 comments:

  1. I love that you had a guest blog about this. I wish I could use cloth diapers, and, in fact had a whole garbage bag of them given to me when I was pregnant. However, you still have to wash them a certain way, and since I live in an apartment and our washer is set to one cycle I couldn't use them. I agree with all her reasons above to use them, though. They do seem a lot more cost-effective. I was blessed that someone gave me a diaper shower...so I've only had to buy about 3 bags of diapers since Darius was born. Still wish I could use cloth, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom hasn't had to buy diapers, either, since Judah was born. Isn't it great how the Lord provides? Maybe for your next baby you won't live in an apartment. ;)

      Delete
    2. Amanda -
      Washing is really easy. It's not really anything special - a rinse with no detergent (you could do a short wash if your machine doesn't do just a rinse cycle), then a wash on hot water with detergent. Line or machine dry. I've used them in an apartment, the laundry mat (not as cost effective), and now in a Brooklyn Brown Stone home with a washer, but no dryer - just a clothesline!

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!