Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Cold Remedy that {apparently} Works!

Way back in March, I shared with you some new cold remedies I was implementing...with the plan to experiment and see if these natural remedies kept me from catching a cold every two weeks! And like any good experiment, I'm back to share an update and tell you what did and didn't work for me.


Well I'll cut right to the chase...

Once I started drinking water with lemon all the time, I was not sick at all. Not one little sore throat or anything. 

Until last week.

What happened last week, you ask?

I stopped drinking the lemon water, and within days was down with one of the worst head colds ever.

I wish I was joking. No, I really wish I was joking, because I have really felt miserable this week. (cue violins) I'm getting better now, but I'm here to tell you...the lemon water worked for me!

I didn't realize how much it was working until I stopped taking it. Here are the ways it helped my overall health:

~I didn't get sick while drinking it, and I was around some people with pretty nasty colds and flu without catching anything.

~I had way more energy. I can honestly say that I felt better the last two months than I have felt in years.

~I was drinking waaay more water than normal, which may have contributed to the last point. Something about the lemon flavour, combined with the fact that I have my own pitcher of water handy all day was huge in helping me drink more throughout the day. Since I stopped using the lemon, plain water seems so bland! Drinking more water definitely helped my digestive system (more than you wanted to know, right?) and my overall health.

You might be thinking, well why on earth did you stop?? Trust me, I wish I hadn't stopped so soon! I just knew I was going away on vacation in a matter of days, and I ran out of lemons...so one day I found myself back to plain old water. It won't happen again, you can count on that!

As for how I did it, I mentioned it in the original post, but I'll go over it again here. I just had a glass pitcher of water {maybe 2 liters or so?} and added the juice from half a lemon to it. That normally lasted me about two days. I even found myself taking a big water bottle of the lemon water when I knew I would be gone for the day, and I've never been that dedicated to water consumption in my life! It was just so easy to make it a habit when it was helping me out so much.

There were a few other things I mentioned in the original post that I continue to do from time to time...using honey to curb a cough {not that I've had one until recently} and fresh lemon and honey in my tea, those types of things. I guess my final analysis of all these natural remedies I tried would be that honey works great when you already have a cold - lemon works great to keep you from getting one in the first place!

Now I'd love to hear from you. Have you tried putting lemon in your water? Do you use natural remedies to curb sickness? What other things have you tried that have worked for you? Do you think you'll try the lemon water? I heartily recommend it! =)


Note: I’m certainly no doctor, and I don’t even know much about natural remedies {although I’d love to know more and am trying to learn!} I am just a girl that got tired of barking like a seal all winter and decided to try some things. These remedies are not meant to cure any of your ailments, so don’t bank on my advice. Consult your doctor {or at least someone smarter than I am} to learn what you should do in your situation. 

Linking up with: Womanhood with Purpose, Show and Tell Friday, Pin me party, Spotlight Saturday, Sundae Scoop, From Dream to Reality

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    Thank you for your kind comment, that you left on my social media icon post. I just wanted to let you know that I added some more icons at a later date, including a Bloglovin' one:

    http://www.atypicalenglishhome.com/2013/05/social-media-icons-additional-buttons.html

    Hope you find them useful :)

    Angela @ A Typical English Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,
    What an interesting experiment. I think that if you find something that works, stick with it. I love lemon water, but don't drink it all the time, maybe I will start. I am your newest GFC.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth it! Thanks for stopping by and for the follow! =)

      Delete
  3. Me too! Thanks for visiting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Lemon water!!!

    Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer last week! Can't wait to see what you link up tomorrow evening!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!