Monday, November 28, 2011

Baby Judah

Here are the promised details about the birth of Judah. I promised them "soon".....a week later is soon, right?

Its hard to believe that he is already a week old! My parents were up at 3:01 this morning to celebrate his one-week birthday....not exactly because they wanted to be, but they were up, nonetheless!

Here is the story (from my perspective):

At about 1:30 last Monday morning my dad woke me up, saying, "I'm taking mom to the hospital." I barely comprehended his presence in the room (lets just say I'm kind of a hard one to wake up) so I just "mhhm"ed and rolled over. By the time he got back downstairs, though, his words penetrated the fog....I sat up quick and realized, "He's taking mom to the hospital!"

For those who may not know, I have to explain that this was a first for us. All my other siblings were born at home, with a midwife, so we had never experienced this "going-to-the-hospital" thing. Even my mom said she had a hard time knowing if she should go in or when she should go in, because she just was used to staying home and when he came, he came. So it was kind of a weird feeling to be helping them pack up and leave, instead of playing Scattergories with my grandparents and cousin Crysten. (Yes, that is what we usually did while we waited!)

So back to the story....after they left, I debated whether I should go back to bed or stay up, but I finally decided to go back to bed, because I knew 1) they had a 45 minute-plus drive to the hospital (they made it in 30, but thats beside the point) and 2) even once they got there, it would be a while before things started happening, so why not get at least a couple more hours of sleep, then see what was going on?

Boy, were we all tricked this time! At 3:15 my dad called. I didn't even hear the phone, but my Grammie, who had a phone in the room she was sleeping in, answered it. She didn't even know they had gone to the hospital, which makes this next part all the more humorous. As she answered the phone, she was thinking, "Why am I answering their phone? Where is everyone?" She answered, and dad said, "You're a grandmother!" (for the 14th time, btw)

In the process of trying to answer the phone, she had somehow put it on speakerphone (apparently she has the same fog problem I do at that hour of the morning) and so the sound of my dad over the phone woke me up. I woke up in time to hear him say, It's a boy! Believe you me, it wasn't long before the whole house was up!

It turns out that mom was only in the delivery room 20 minutes before the big boy was born. His name is Judah Scott, he was 8lbs 5oz and 22 inches long. He has had a beautiful, pink complexion right from the beginning, and seems to be a very healthy boy! He does have a little trouble with stomach cramps in the night, and still needs to get his days and nights straight, but overall he is a good little boy.

Coming home!

He is so cuddly, which is nice, because with the health problems Carrie had as a baby, we never could cuddle her. I could just hold him and watch him all day long! Unfortunately, I have to share. Bummer.

He is so precious, and we are so thankful for his safe (and early!) arrival.

1 comment:

  1. He's adorable! I'm so happy for you and your family. Thanks for sharing all the pictures- and what a blessing that you made it home just in time for the birth :)


I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!