Thursday, November 24, 2011

Coffee Chat: Thankfulness

It’s been quite the week for the two of us. Nicole made it back to Nova Scotia with just a day or two to spare before her little brother, Judah Scott, arrived on Monday. Holly leaves for Ohio this afternoon to spend time with family for the weekend. Meanwhile, we’d love to share with you a few things that we’re thankful for this year. Please add yours in the comments!

CoffeeChats

Nicole: Well, its that time of year again....Thanksgiving.

Holly: Yay! One of my favorite times of the year!

Nicole: I think that you and I both have a lot to be thankful for this year.

Holly: Oh yes, more than we can probably count, for sure! What's your number one thing this year? If you can pick one.

Nicole: Well, if you had asked me two days ago, I would have said the way the Lord worked to lead me to my time in Florida, and how he provided for me there. But now, I'd certainly have to say I'm most thankful for the safe arrival of Judah!

Holly: Absolutely! I don't blame you a bit for that choice! He's a cutie.

Nicole: Of course he is! He looks like me.

Holly: Haha!

Nicole: What are you most thankful for this year?

Holly: That would have to be a tie for me: our new house and our puppy, Jackson. They are two things that I have dreamed about for over a year and I almost have to pinch myself to make sure it's real that I have them both. It just shows again that God does exceeding above all we can ask or think.
After that, I'd have to say that Andrew is next {even though he's at the top of my list all the time}. Those were just the two things that happened this year that I'm thankful for.

Nicole: Yes, absolutely. Other things near the top of my list would be all my church families...in Nova Scotia, Maine, North Carolina, and now Florida. I am like, quadrupally blessed by them! My church here in Nova Scotia especially stood behind me 100% while I was in Florida, and that was a particular blessing to me.

Holly: It definitely helps to have supportive people behind you. My friends have blessed me over and over this year. Whether it's lending a listening ear or laughing hysterically about something crazy, I know they're always there for me.

Nicole: sniff, sniff

Holly: I have great friends from college, as well as some wonderful friends that I've made since college and it's so neat to see God provide just the right people at the right time.

Nicole: God gives us what we need, right when we need it, doesn't he?

Holly: Amen. This sounds so cliché, but I'm thankful for good health as well.

Nicole: Oh yes. Especially when you think of all those affected by cancer....how lucky we are to be unaffected by that in our personal health.

Holly: That's so right.

Nicole: It’s amazing, when you stop and think about it, that it takes a national holiday to remember to thank the Lord for what He has done for use. What a rebuke.

Holly: I know. I read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts this year, and it's really challenged me to look for things to be thankful for every single day.

Nicole: I started a "One Thousand Gifts" list this year, even though I haven't read the book yet. I strongly recommend a list like that for everyone!

Holly: Me too! It really helps you get perspective when you have to say, "Thank you, Lord" for something that seems hard. Like saying, thank you for this house when the roof is leaking, you know?

Nicole: Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I try and make it a point to put even the "bad" things on my thankful list, because if I learned something from it, I am thankful for it.

Holly: Right. And even if I don't always remember to be thankful, or I find complaints slipping out, at least I have something to remind me to look for the good things.

Nicole: Yes.

Holly: So, on that note, here's a hard one: what is something "bad" that's happened this year that you've given thanks for?

Nicole: Well, one thing I can think of at the moment was the minor car accident I was in. Certainly not something I wanted to take place, but because of it, I had to drive a big van, and overall that made me an even better driver. How about you?

Holly: I'd have to say unanswered prayer, or maybe even God saying "wait". It's definitely not what I want at times, but looking back I can see where He's leading even when I think he's silent.

Nicole: Yes, it’s hard to trust when we can't see the outcome, but when we look back, its clear that He knows best!

Well folks, we want to wish you all a great Thanksgiving!

Holly: Yes, and to say how much we are so very thankful for all of YOU!


Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving full of food, family, friends, and football!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!