Tuesday, November 22, 2011

MSG and Tuna Casserole

I'm going to make my disclaimer right now: if you are here looking for a healthy recipe, you can just close this window and go on with your day. This recipe is about the farthest from healthy as you can possibly get. Don't get me wrong, I certainly think that it is far better to eat healthy, nourishing foods, and I try to do that 99% of the time. But the other 1%....I make this casserole. A good friend in Nova Scotia introduced it to me, and its become a comfort food. And you don't mess with comfort foods. Although if you did want to mess with this, you could probably make a healthy version of it pretty easily. So if you want a terribly-bad-for-you casserole that you can turn into something good for you, press 1. If you want a new comfort food, press 2. If you want me to get to the point, press 3.

Start by preparing a box of Kraft Dinner according to the directions on the box. Aka, boil water, add noodles, and cook until tender.

Add the other ingredients listed on the box: milk and that cheese packet that comes with it. That cheese packet is some kind of miracle in and of itself. What other cheese do you know of that doesn't have to be refrigerated??? Yummy....

I usually leave out the butter that is normally called for, just because I don't think it is necessary for this recipe. Also add a can of tuna and a can of cream of MSG mushroom soup.

Stir it all together.

Pour that beautiful mixture in a pan, and sprinkle the top with cheese.

Add more cheese.

Add more cheese.

Add more cheese.


No, don't do that...I would never do that....

Ok, do it.

Cook at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Just until the bag of cheese is melted and the whole thing is heated through.

Enjoy that cheesy goodness!

This makes enough for about 4 people. You can easily make a bigger casserole just by doubling everything. For instance, if you are feeding 8 people, use two boxes of Kraft Dinner, two cans of tuna, and two cans of cream of mushroom soup. If you are feeding 12 people, use 3 boxes of kraft dinner, 3 cans of tuna, and 3 cans of cream of mushroom soup. If you are feeding 16 people....

I think you get the point.

And don't forget the cheese.

Let me know if you try it, and if you make a healthier version!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!