Wednesday, April 4, 2012

5 Fat Files: What's the Point?



I hope you all are having fun choosing your 5 topics for this month’s challenge. I know I am! (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go here to read about our self-imposed challenge for April! Then come back here and join in our conversation!) Having to narrow it down to 5, manageable topics is a little bit of a struggle for me, because I am as curious as a cat and want to know about everything! I guess that is pretty impossible, huh?

I want to kick off our month-long challenge by answering this question: What is the point of having 5 fat files?

I’ll admit, its not a particularly glamorous project. There is way more exciting things in the blogosphere to participate in, like organizing projects, Pinterest-inspired projects, recipe projects, etc. Why take the time to fill some boring old files?

Here is a quote to ponder:

“All life lessons are not learned at college. Life teaches them everywhere.”
~L.M. Mongomery, Anne of the Island

We are being taught lessons from all sides. Through books, media, blogs, emails, podcasts, radio talk shows, etc, etc! How on earth are we to learn any of these lessons if we don’t corral them in some way and make them useful?

Here are just a couple of reasons to join us in making our files fat:

Our minds need to be exercised. Just like any other area of our bodies, our minds need exercise! We live in a desensitized culture. Instead of exercising our mind, we are putting it to sleep! I find I even do this when I am reading...if I am not purposeful about learning, I can even read in a desensitized way, reading only for pleasure. While that is ok some of the time, I want to be exercising my mind as well! (This is why each month I read at least one book that I can read with a highlighter in hand...makes me focus more on what I can learn from the book!)

We can become better learned about several subjects.
Filling 5 files is a great way to do just that. Not only are we learning, but we are saving that information to review later! Maybe I don’t need this information now...but when the time comes that I do need it, I wouldn’t know where it is if I wasn’t intentional about saving it for later.

Abraham Lincoln once said,

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”
“I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Study and get ready. That is what I want to do. I don’t know what God will bring into my life in the future, but while I am waiting, I can be studying and getting ready. That is why I am prayerfully considering what topics to focus on, what 5 areas I need to learn more about. Because I believe that not only will it be beneficial to my mind (keeping it exercised and sharp) but it will be beneficial to my life in the future, whatever it may hold.




I hope you all are as excited as I am to start on this project! It is the season for spring cleaning...maybe we need to do a little spring cleaning in our minds and fill it with useful information! Come back tomorrow to see the 5 files I chose to study, and tell us your own in the comments section!



Blogging about this challenge? Here is a button for you!

5 Fat Files

See you tomorrow! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!