Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A toe-riffic solution to a toe-tally gross problem

This post is toe-tally going to be filled with toe-tal groaners...because it is all about my toes. Weird, I know. If you are one of those feet-fetish people (coughValcough) then you might not want to keep reading  - it includes pho-toes. (Ok, even I’m groaning over that one!)

Here is my toe story:

A year ago (yes a whole year!) I went and got a mani/pedi with some friends. I showed it to you here - and absolutely fell in love with the massage chair.


What I didn’t tell you is that beau-toe-ful nail polish was covering up a secret - a small dead spot on my big toe nail.

I wasn’t sure what it was, and just figured that it would go away or grow out with my toenail. Imagine my surprise, when, weeks later, I took all that toe-polish off and found that half my nail was “dead” - completely white and flaky. I’d never heard of such a thing.

I still thought maybe I had dropped something on my toe (even though I’m pretty sure I would have remembered something like that!) and it would grow out eventually.

But it didn’t. No matter how much I trimmed my nail, over half the nail remained, well, dead-ish.

So I asked a few people about it. And you know what they said?

“It’s a fungus.”

I had to whisper that part because it is so embarrassing...I mean, fungus makes me sound like a really dirty nasty person. I’m not. Promise. But I really and truthfully had a toe fungus. And I didn’t know of a thing I could do about it.

#failuretosociety

Then along about June, when I spent an unexpected week in Maine, my Grammie mentioned that my uncle used to struggle with athlete’s foot, which is a fungus (apparently this fungus thing runs in the family?) His doctor had told him to spray his foot with peroxide every morning after showering. (See? We really are clean...we shower every day.)

Couldn’t hurt to try, right?

I got a spray bottle from Dollarama, and started spraying my toes every morning and night. You can’t be too cautious about these things.

And guess what? The fungus went away.

It took a long time for all the dead nail to grow out, but eventually I reached the place where I was back to trimming healthy nail again.

And here is where I share those pho-toes: #warningitsafoot

This is after I noticed the dead part was growing out...there is just a small part that is still white and flaky.

This is after it is all back to normal! Excuse my super ugly feet...that runs in the family too...also excuse the weird wrinkle in my nail, not sure what that is. But it is a super healthy wrinkle.

Maybe this post was just the long way of saying: Spraying peroxide on your feet kills fungus. Bam. It’s that easy. Still just as horrific, but easy to get rid of. You can chalk that up to “things you never wanted to need to know.”

Have you ever had a fungus? How about a super cheap and easy remedy for an ailment? Do you have a foot fetish? I toe-tally apologize...

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is funny to me how many people really do not like feet! Hope this post wasn't too shocking, lol! :)

      Delete
  2. Haha! I hate feet too! I don't even like pedicures! But this post made me laugh. Yup - peroxide for everything - you could also try tea tree oil on stuff like that. I use tea tree for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you get tea tree oil? I'd be interested in knowing!

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!