Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Bring Him to Jesus

I just can’t make him listen. I’ve tried everything - asking, pleading, bribery, threats - nothing works. He is rolling around on the floor, not listening to the teacher (yours truly) and distracting all the other kids.

He’s not my child; in fact, I’ve never met him before. I am just here to teach a kids class. I was looking forward to a fun week of VBS, but I wasn’t expecting this. I just wanted them to learn about God, have fun, and hide God’s word in their little hearts. But no one can learn anything, much less even hear what I am saying. Am I a failure?



Well, the fact is that it is not all about me, but I’ll get to that part in a minute. What do you do when you feel powerless and helpless, knowing you very well could fail?


Bring the problem to Jesus.


That is it. It is that simple. It almost seems too simple, right?

Jesus says, “Bring him unto Me.”


But they all seem passive, not caring whether they learn about God or not.


Bring them unto Me.


But I can’t make them listen, and nothing I say seems to be penetrating.


Bring them unto Me.


But they won’t participate or interact with any of my (perfectly planned) songs or games.


Bring them unto Me.


But their friends are laughing,
And the parents aren’t much help, either.
And they are too embarrassed to do what is right…
I’m not even sure they know what is right.

Bring them unto Me.


It really is that simple because it is what Jesus told us to do in Mark chapter 9. A man from the crowd had brought his son, who was demon-possessed to the disciples, but the disciples could not cast out his demon.

The disciples, bless their hearts; I see myself in them so often. They tried to do what they could for this boy, but they were powerless in and of themselves. They failed. Miserably. In front of a multitude.

In a way, that is just how I feel when I am in front of a class of little people. Their parents have brought them to me, have trusted them with me, expecting me to heal their sin sickness, or at least give them something that will benefit them. {I’ll let you imagine the correlations between the demon possessed son and some of my little charges! ;) }

But I fail. I feel powerless. I am powerless, and I know it. But what to do?

{Jesus} answereth him, and saith, “Bring him unto me.”
Vs. 19

It is redundant...but it is the only answer. In myself, I am powerless. I lack faith.

“Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”
Vs.23

All things.

“And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.”
Vs. 24



That needs to be me.

Help thou mine unbelief.

I don’t see how any good is going to come out of this situation. I can’t see how they will learn anything or grow up to be Godly servants of yours, or anything. I am so unbelieving...but help thou mine unbelief.

Jesus went on to say that this kind - the kind that is unbelievable - can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting. Prayer - that is the channel by which we can bring our problems to Christ. It can and will bring about unbelievable things!

Whether the problem be a disobedient child, a looming bill, a serious illness, or even just a sad and heavy heart, we can take it to Jesus! I’m so thankful that the all-knowing, all-wise God knows the answer to all of life’s problems!

So next time you stand to face that class of young souls, waiting to hear your words -

Don’t give them your words. Simply bring them to Jesus.



Linking up with: Womanhood With Purpose

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Some comments may need to be moderated, so don't be alarmed if your comment doesn't pop up right away. I can't wait to hear from you!